WHY BECOME A SURF INSTRUCTOR
Uniquely amazing lifestyle and culture working with likeminded and passionate people.
Earn a living doing what you love whilst developing your people, leadership and coaching skills.
WHAT IS SURF INSTRUCTOR TRAINING? – IS IT FOR YOU?
This is the first step on your surf coaching journey, you will learn fundamental ‘how to coach’ and technical skills enabling you to safely deliver beginner surf lessons.
The course is a mix of theory delivered online or in workshops, followed with practical learning and mentoring on the beach. The course completes with a fully assessed lesson to sign off instructor competency.
You will leave as a qualified surf instructor, ready to start your coaching journey teaching beginner groups in waist depth water.
You can start the course straight away, but to complete and become certified as a Surfing England Surf Instructor you will need to meet and complete the following:
Demonstrate a minimum level of surfing ability:
- Able to paddle out and turtle roll
- Catch green waves, bottom turn and trim left and right
Complete the following:
- Signed Coaches Code of Conduct (within online learning course)
- Up to date Beach Lifeguard or Surf Lifesaving award (see Beach Lifeguard tab)
- Requirement coming soon for all instructors:
- Completed Safeguarding training: Either the Surfing England Surf Safeguarding or the NSPCC Safeguarding in Sport online module
- At 16 become a junior instructor – You can operate supervised by an adult surf instructor
- At 18 become a surf instructor
Course content, length & assessment
- Approximately 10 hours of theory to be studied at your own pace – online learning system – with guided gateways and assessment questions.
- Approximately 20 hours of practical training and mentoring with a Surfing England Trainer Assessor.
COURSE Training Delivery Options
2 ‘classroom’ days with Woolacombe Surf Centre
approx. 20 hours +/- of trained & mentored practice on the beach plus assessment
Cost £300 GBP
Book here: https://www.surfingengland.org/coaching-hub/become-a-surf-instructor/
Or for more information, course dates and booking get in touch with us here
Want to know more?
Pop in and see us, give us a call, drop us an email or find us on Facebook & Instagram to keep up to date with Woolacombe Surf Centre!
Woolacombe Surf Centre
Shop 5 Barton Court
01271 871 533